May 20, 2009

Moment of Clarity?

Last night, as I was debating whether to get fast food for dinner, I had a minor revelation. It wasn't about fast food, but about health in general. I did the math and realized that if I had a child tomorrow, he or she would turn 18 when I was 49 years old.

To me, at 31, an 18-year-old isn't very old. I remember being 18 and not knowing squat about zilch. And if I have kids, I'd really like to be around to help them out with that kind of thing.

I haven't given much thought about having kids, except to assume that at some point I will. But I have never considered whether I will be around to see them become adults. Given my family history of leaky heart valves and other such things, I am already at a slight disadvantage. The fact that I outweigh my father by 10 pounds is another bad sign.

So this "revelation" became a personal charge to myself. Healthy is better. I am still plenty young enough to change my habits, and in fact have already been doing that. No more fast food (not even "only once in awhile"). More running--daily when possible. Less couch potato-ish activity.

Part of this is because I finally realized how I can accomplish this. It's less about saying "never eat unhealthy again, ever" and more about saying: tonight, do I need a hamburger from Wendy's? And the answer is always no. Baby steps to the elevator, yo.

I don't have kids yet. Hell, I don't even have somebody who wants to birth any of my children.* But I'll be damned if I'm going to let my laziness in 2008/2009 screw me over in 2027.

*This is just shorthand. I am entirely in favor of adoption. Please don't yell at me about skyrocketing population or something.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is very close to my reason for now being a card carrying member of Weight Watchers (the wonderful trifecta of inching my way into the overweight percentile while my doctor glowers at me, being asked when my baby is due every week or so, and wanting to not be the fattest person in my wedding pictures). Remember when your mom used to say I was too skinny? Oh those days were so nice.... stupid getting old.

Anyways- I digress... good for you!

Emily said...

I love this post. I love it a lot. So intelligent. It is about daily decisions, not about weekly or even monthly decisions.

SB said...

Thanks for the positive feedback, ya'll (including those who emailed and IM'd to concur).

The battle continues. I stocked up for the long weekend at Whole Foods instead of installing a mainline of Chips Ahoy! into my vein, so we'll see how I do.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are going to try to eat right and exercise. If you don't start in your 30's, you will never make routine fun exercise a part of your life style. THEN..you are pushing 60 and it hurts when you try !! HA !!

DAD

Anonymous said...

So, Sam, it's been almost 2 weeks. How're you doing? Feeling healthier? (Sue)