November 30, 2006

Can we try TV chemotherapy?

My television, with years of excellent service under her belt, is dying.

I knew she* had a cancer of some sort when white lines began appearing
at the top of the screen when first powered on. But those lines faded
fairly quickly and I hoped they were merely a sign of age.

Sadly, whatever malady afflicts my poor JVC has spread so that now she
has become a defacto editor of all television shows, randomly fading
any given scene to black. While sometimes I appreciate the effort to
spare me further idiocy, the sound remains and after a few seconds,
the picture fades right back in.

This is simply unacceptable when one has The Office and Scrubs to
watch. Fortunately a backup TV exists, but it will not serve us in the
long-term. No, I must look towards the future. I must look towards...
a new television.

Since I'm not technically jobless anymore (lawyer w/clients =
employed, no matter how little he is making), it seems that buying a
TV is probably a wise move. I'm concerned about wasting money on a TV
that is obsolete out of the box (i.e. non-HD, non-digital, etc.) but I
do not have much to spend on such luxuries.

Suggestions are welcome, but mostly I just wanted to share my sadness
at losing a valued member of the household.

*Yes, my television was of the female gender. No, not for any particular reason.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I distinctly remember you telling me at one point you wanted three flat screen televisions on each wall/ceiling to surround your bed so whichever way you were facing (left, right, on your back) you could be able to still see a t.v.

I think now that you have client, you need to make this dream, a reality. A reality saturated in laziness.

Anonymous said...

That WOULD be awesome. However, 3 flat-panel televisions are still far too expensive for Two-Client Sam. Especially since I don't plan on getting all that much in fees from either of them.

My new TV is flat screen (but CRT) and has HD. It's like having cable without the, you know, cost.