May 22, 2007

Let's Get Down To It, Then

This whole "fired U.S. Attorneys" thing has got me annoyed beyond belief, and I'll tell you why: the entire thing centers around the attorneys' alleged failure to prosecute voter fraud or corruption cases.

Everybody's arguing back and forth about whether the attorneys can be fired for any reason, whether they should be, how politics plays into, and so forth.

But the real question, one that I haven't seen answered anywhere as of yet, is this: why doesn't anybody point out which obviously fraudulent cases weren't prosecuted correctly?

If there are all these cases of voter fraud being perpetrated (by the Democrats, of course), and the U.S. Attorneys investigated and failed to bring charges, then the attorneys have files on them. Large files, I would imagine. Investigative reports, perhaps even witness testimony. So let's see these miscarriages of justice! Let's see the case files!

I don't think the reasons we haven't seen them is a slam-dunk against the GOP. I would imagine there are many shades of gray in some of the voter fraud cases, and that semi-reasonable people (i.e. politicians) would come down on either side. But I would also imagine that, since the director of the FBI has himself said that there hasn't been a failure to prosecute on any case that he considered valid, the Republicans are full of it.

No comments: