June 3, 2007

Summer Weekend of George

This past (past-past, now) weekend was Memorial Day weekend. A three-day bonanza of barbecues, sunshine, and a general welcome to the coming summer months. And, of course, a day of remembrance to those who have died in the line of duty.

Being the good patriot that I am, I participated in none of these activities. The girlfriend was out of town, the roommate was in Wisconsin, and I was free to wallow in my own crapulence.

On Friday night, I worked until 6 or so (around here, that's late; we're pretty laid back that way) and then went home to reheated pizza and video games.

On Saturday, the skies were gray and the weather chilly, so I stayed in pajamas until at least 4 in the afternoon, playing video games and generally achieving as little forward progress as possible. I also watched "In the Bedroom", which has been sitting on my coffee table for almost a month, in an effort to break-up the logjam that is my Netflix queue. It's a fairly intense movie, though having seen it years after it came out, I think it has lost some of its punch. Maybe I'm jaded, but I wanted it to end a bit more realistically. I think it was superbly well-acted (did they win Oscars?) and overall, give it 3.5 out of 5. It would have been 4.5 if the filmmakers had forced a more nuanced and what I bet is a more common outcome (i.e. the non-murderous revenge scenario).

On Sunday, it was more video games. The skies were gray and the weather chilly again. I also did some work, but only half-heartedly, as it was the midpoint of the long-weekend and I wasn't feeling it. I also failed to change from my pajamas the entire day. Wallowing indeed!

Sunday is but a vague memory now, due in large part to the complete lack of achievement on my part. Monday too, except that I did play a rousing game of Scrabble with the downstairs neighbors. Marek won, which is surprising to approximately zero people, but my own personal highlight was convincing everyone that "que" is a word. In English. I even convinced myself (Scrabble tip: it's not.). At one point I had the letters to spell "opaque", which would have netted me something like 40 billing points, but by then there was no room on the board. I suck at Scrabble.

It was a good weekend, overall. This weekend has been more eventful, and in about 10 minutes I'm leaving to go look at a potential new apartment. I do not know Oakland well (I'm at work; the new apartment may be near here, if rents have anything to say about it) but it's in a supposedly nice--not scary--neighborhood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could have come to the cottage! Never underestimate your ability to talk Mom into paying for a plane ticket. Good luck with the apartment hunting. Cheap is good, but a safe neighborhood that is closer to work is priceless. Cable and dishwasher and laundry facilities also priceless!
Ma