October 28, 2008

Tipping Point

Notwithstanding some colossal polling error or a very, very late October surprise, Obama should win this thing next week.

What's most interesting to me is that, by and large, the commentary by people who are still in favor of John McCain are not actually voting for him. They're voting against Barack Obama.

I don't criticize this as inherently wrong. The questions about Obama's experience are somewhat valid (though, in my mind, such questions are easily negated by his intelligence and the strength under pressure he has shown during this campaign).

But I question the wisdom in voting for a ticket that includes the least experienced vice-presidential candidate in modern history. Palin has nothing--nothing--to offer this country. It is an embarrassment and a joke that we would even consider putting someone with such little ability in the nation's second-highest office.

It is, flat out, unpatriotic. You can't love this country, and then hand it over to someone who has no ability to lead it whatsoever. I cannot say this about any other candidate I can remember--even George W. Bush, though he comes close--but I will say it here: I would make a better Vice President.

So say what you will about Obama's lack of executive experience, but the man is smart. Smarter than you, and smarter than me. He has nuanced and strong opinions, he is steady, and his "on-the-job training" will take a fraction of the time that Palin's would.

I don't envy you Republicans this year. Those GOPers who still admire intelligence and wisdom are in a bind. Because the intelligence and wisdom lies entirely with the Democratic ticket this year.

No comments: