January 28, 2009

"Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice..."

Time for some pithy commentary, right quick. You all can look up these stories on your own, they don't pay me* to hyperlink for your lazy asses.

- The U.S. Post Office is asking to halt mail delivery on Saturdays. I understand the reasoning--Saturday mail is just for residential, it would cut some serious costs out for the USPS--but dang it, it's just un-American. Saturday delivery is what makes this country great! It's what allows me to drag my feet to Thursday before returning a Netflix movie, and still get my new one for Saturday night!

I will tighten my belt, if the USPS asks me too, and accept this change, but I really hope that if/when times are better for the beleaguered civil servants, we get our Saturday mail back.

- The HD roll-out is off, no wait on, for February. Apparently, people are whining that they're not ready yet despite more than a year of notification, ultra-cheap government discounted set-top boxes, and a goddamn barrage of commercials every hour on the subject. For some reason it seems like the Democrats want a delay, and the Republicans think it's a bad idea. For once, I'm on board with Republicans (everyone take note, so that I can reference my bipartisan views in future blog posts). Enough notice is enough, let the people cry out in terror when their TV goes away mid-February. Maybe it will do them some good.

Because if you haven't figured this digital transition shit out by now, you're too stupid to be watching TV in the first place. Read books for awhile, and when you get what's happening come back and we'll talk.

- What is wrong with the Pistons, man? I have some level of faith in Curry but damn, how can a team with this much talent be so lackluster? They need to play Iverson, or don't play him, but this half-assed "X minutes per game" is no good. You can't get a player like Iverson and then insert him into an offense in a special role. He is the focus of the team wherever he plays, and if you want to use him you have to realize that.

Now I'm not saying they have to use him. They could trade him away, Detroit's got more than enough talent to go it without Ive. But they have to fish or cut bait, as it were.

* Okay, so they don't pay me to blog at all. But we have an understanding: they don't know.
** The title is meant to be read in the voice of the 80s Superfriends narrator.

No comments: