July 23, 2009

Mixed Results

Awhile back, I posted that I was changing things up a bit. Healthier living, etc. I just thought that, in the interest of keeping myself honest, I should provide an update. And also, because Sue asked in the comments last time and I forgot to respond.

I haven't had fast food as a "regular" meal since that day. I have had it in airports and once when everything else was closed at like 10:30pm, but I was enabled to do so by the healthiest and most in-shape person I know so I don't count that either. I'd give myself an A- or B+ on that aspect. My avoidance of soda has also continued pretty much unabated (with the same occasional travel-related exceptions).

The second part of the equation, exercise, has met with less resounding success. I continue to have ankle pain after runs of any distance (2.5 miles or more) and the pain sometimes lasts for 3-5 days. Some good post-run stretching advice put the kibosh on most of it, but every now and then it pops back up and ruins my week for running. It is frustrating, and I am concerned that it is because I still weigh too much. C+ for running.

On that topic, I was approximately 233 pounds back in the winter. I am now between 215 and 220 depending on the day. It is a good start, but if I can't get past this running thing, I fear I will plateau where I am. Suggestions are welcome. B- for weight lost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEW SHOES !!!! Get some new shoes... or stop by Michigan and I will buy you some new running shoes as a present...

Iris said...

Maybe go to a lap pool? I think there's one in Temescal.

Or, with your busy schedule, sign up for a mini triathalon? The training is the same as for a full-on tri, but the distances are significantly smaller and you have less post-event pain. Plus, you get a medal when you finish.

SB said...

I have been thinking about swimming, it is really good exercise and far less tough on the ol' joints. But I also suck at it, having never done swim team or anything. I mean, I know HOW to swim, but that's about it. :)

I don't need new shoes though! I just got some, and after a few runs where I got blisters, I've developed great callouses and I have no foot issues at all.