June 21, 2006

Giants Among Men

I went to my first San Francisco Giants game last night, at the very
convenient and charming AT&T Park (or is it SBC? I can't keep up).
Some observations:

The Giants are, in a word, craptacular this season. I mean, there are
worse teams (there always are) but they certainly haven't been doing
much to keep themselves out of the dregs of the league. Despite this,
the Giants still have a much better fan showing on a Tuesday night
than, say, the 1st-place Detroit Tigers, who after years of neglect
(read: craptacularness) still don't sell out games even though they
have one of the best records in the majors.

A fact I still cannot believe, by the way. Armed with my new Detroit
hat (wearing with pride again! for the first time? who knows...) it
has become difficult to convince people that I'm not a fair-weather
Tigers fan. Those who remember me in high school and college know
differently, but the recent appearance of many, many Detroit hats
around the country casts my own loyalties in suspicion, I guess.

Back to the team at hand, however. The Giants played the Angels
(Anaheim for those who don't know/care) and, despite a fairly
lackluster effort on both sides, managed to come away with a win
(3-2). The night was made even better by the spectacular seats--club
level, right behind home plate. You could smell Omar Vizquel's cologne
and (insert obvious steroid/Bonds joke). One of the partner's in the
firm has season tickets that he gives away when he can't go, and I was
lucky enough to be invited by the lovely lass who won 'em.

Night at the ballpark: highly recommended.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We go to see the Nationals play the FLorida Marlins on July 3. Maybe there will be fireworks, but that's as much true entertainment as I expect to see! Night games are cooler, so should be fun.
Ma