June 12, 2006

Muzak

Another good meme from Dennis!, and everybody knows I'm a sucker for easy content. You can read the "rules" on his blog, but a quick summary is thus: these are the first lines of the first 20 songs (roughly...) that played when I opened iTunes and hit random. You could guess what they are, but methinks nobody will bother so I just did it out of curiosity.

My own pathetic attempts at defending my weird musical tastes are also included. Let's begin!

1. "Well beer, we've had some good times..."

2. "Humming... all the way to Reno."

3. "I've been looking so long at these pictures of you."
If you don't get this one, and you're under 35, punch yourself in the face.

4. "Come on, oh my star is fading. And I swerve out of control"

5. "May god bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true."
Okay this is pretty unmasculine so far. I hope it gets better.

6. "You let me violate you. You let me desecrate you."
Woah. You ask for it, you got it.

7. "Suzanne! You're all that I wanted of a girl."
Not too hard when the title is the first word of the song...

8. "This or that. This or that. This or that. This or that."
Rap really is repetitive.

9. "Sometimes in our lives, we all have pain. We all have sorrow."

10. "You and I in a little toy show buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got."
Hmm. It's better in German.

11. "At last, my love has come along."
I swear to God my music collection isn't really this wussy.

At which point iTunes crashes my computer. Or rather, "Bye Bye Blackbird" by Ray Charles crashes it. I don't blame iTunes. Reboot and let's go!

12. "I wish I would have met you. Now it's a little late."

Interlude: Polaris, by Zero 7. No words.

13. "He came riding fast like a phoenix out of fire flames."

Another interlude: War Cry, from the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack.

14. "Here comes the hot stepper (murderer), I'm the lyrical gangster (murderer)."

15. "Lights go out and I can't be saved. Tides that I tried to swim against."

16. "Stand in the place where you live, now face north."
Man, two R.E.M. and two Coldplay? Whiny-rock represent!

17. "I want to break free. I want to break free."

18. "I know what you want. I wanna take you to a midnight show tonight."

19. "Manic depression is touching my soul."
This one goes out to all my Zyprexa homies. I feel ya.

20. "We got married in a fever hotter than a pepper sprout."
There's no one like the original, damn you.

Well that was frightening for all involved (me and the neighbors). Turns out, it really IS Bye Bye Blackbird that crashes it (not iTunes) because it just did it again. What the hell, Ray? Why you gotta hate on iTunes?

7 comments:

Dennis! said...

Okay, I gotta do it, seeing as you got the idea from my blog.

3. I will punch myself in the face later, but I only recognize this song from those HP photo printer commercials. Is the next line "that I almost believe that they're real"?

8. I'm going to go guess that the refrain for this one goes "You can get with this, or you can get with that" x 1,000,000.

9. "Lean on Me" - Timex Social Club (before they changed their name to something I don't remember)

10. "99 Red Balloons", Nena

11. I recognize it, but don't know it. Goes on with something, plus "and life is like a song."

Dah, I suck at this. If I didn't write down the answer key to mine, I wouldn't know most of the songs on mine either (but don't tell anyone that).

Anonymous said...

3. The Cure
6. NIN
9. Bill Withers? or Al Green?
10. Nena
11. Etta James
14. Ini Kamoze
16. REM
17. Queen

And that's all I got to say about that.

SB said...

A noble effort, Dennis!, and in fact #8 is Black Sheep's "This or That".

But Iris really takes it, correctly predicting that #9 is, in fact, Bill Withers doing Lean on Me. I don't know how you knew which version I had, but damn. I'm also impressed with the Ini Kamoze identification. I think you win this particular contest, hands down.

At least so far. Any other (non- cheating) takers?

Drew said...

4. "Amsterdam," Coldplay (I had the same one on my blog!)

5. "Forever Young" - this one is tricky; I think Bob Dylan wrote it, but Rod Stewart (ugh) is famous for singing it.

15. "Clocks," Coldplay

18. "Midnight Show," The Killers

Jason said...

1. Homer Simpson's version of "When I was 25" by Sinatra

2. REM....from "Up" I think.

Jason said...

25?! What the hell's wrong with me. The song is an ode to under-age drinking (homer's versions). When I was SEVENTEEN! 17!

SB said...

I totally do that with that song all the time. It IS the next verse, after all. +10 simpsons points for you.

From memory:
When I was 17
I drank some very good beer.
I drank some very good beer
I purchased
With a fake I.D.
My name was Brian McGee
I stayed up listening to Queen.
When I was 17.

All the melancholy of the Sinatra version, but with the accessibility of true juvenile alcoholism.