September 11, 2006

Or, You Know... Not.

I've tried to hold myself out as an open-minded individual, someone who will readily look to the facts of a situation, and not bow to emotional or irrational pressures in order to reach a conclusion.

This is often not the case. But I considered it the case when I previously wrote that I was unsure about the events of 9/11/01--specifically, who did what and how it all happened.

Now, I'm changing my mind. Again. Once again, facts have surfaced that seem to easily repudiate the formerly-strong case made by those who cry "conspiracy!" I'm not going to go into it here (I don't really want Google referencing my blog as a source of 9/11 conspiracies) but I wanted to take today to note my shift in belief.

This is not to say I'm 100% down with the official story. I think the government did a truly immoral job of investigating the attacks, and I would bet money that more than a few shady things occurred. But the science of the conspiracy folks just doesn't add up anymore, not with so many reputable (non-psycho conservatives) folks disagreeing.

By the way, this didn't come about because of today's anniversary. I just thought it'd be a topical time to mention my slight shift. My previous comments re: dismissal of ideas that seems to juxtapose our present worldview by labeling them "crackpot" still stand. The 9/11 folks aren't necessarily crackpots; wrong, most likely... but let's prove it.


For those keeping score at home, Sam's current mood is: distrustful but of grudging acceptance.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

OH NO !! Am I losing you to the dark side ?

SB said...

I would hesitate to call rational thought "the dark side" but I'd also point out that I was already there before. I'm just heading back for awhile.

Man there's a really good joke referencing Empire Strikes Back and fathers in here, but it's just too damn early for me to find it!