September 20, 2007

Movie Remembering

Editor's Note: Saw this in my drafts; why didn't it get posted? Did it? Well, here ya go anyway...

...

With the count now more than halfway to 1100, I've still seen a lot of movies. I can remember almost every detail about some of my favorites--with maybe 2 viewings of Raising Arizona, for the little details, I bet I could recite the entire movie from beginning to end--and lots of the details about some of my most despised.*

*New entry from last night: Poseidon, which was on my Netflix list why?

But there's a category of movies that are simply... forgettable. This isn't a knock on the movie, necessarily; action and horror movies are probably best served by this trait, when they have it. It just means that once you leave, it only takes a few hours (or a good night's sleep) to wipe all but the most integral plot points from you mind. "Well, there were two people who were married and also spies for rival organizations... but I don't remember what happens in the middle."

Mr. & Mrs. Smith was definitely entertaining. I even own it on DVD (it was a bargain) but I'm still a little fuzzy on what happens in that movie. Same goes for the Bourne movies (3rd one unseen) -- the 2nd one was cool, but lord knows I can't recall how they shoehorned Julia Stiles back into the series.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing; nobody is saying these movies are Best Picture material, but they certainly serve their purpose.

On the other hand, some movies that maybe were made with Oscar in mind, also fall into this category. Those movies are in trouble, in my book. For instance, I had to be reminded today that Mystic River even existed. This was a Good Movie largely because the acting by some of the characters was superb. But acting is tough to remember, and the plot (dead daughter, right?) is completely vague in my head. Sure enough, it won best acting awards (Penn--I disagree--and Robbins) but didn't win any others.

It's possible that this is only the case because I'm getting old and have seen 1,054 1,066 movies. Maybe it's my brain that can't remember, and not the movies fault?

Nah. It's the movies. I have a mind like steel trap.

2 comments:

BU said...

I gave you a tag, in case you run out of Drafts to post!

SB said...

Actually I saw the tag, and after completing my own answers, saw this old post. So the tag got bumped a day!

But never fear. My wit will not go unread for long.