July 16, 2008

"Your Perspective Will Shift"

"Chinese" food from Panda Express is inherently shady. I work not but 4 blocks from a legitimate Chinatown (Oakland's, not the over-the-top gaudy and touristy SF Chinatown) but sometimes I don't have time to make that trek. And, as with any authentically ethnic food, you really have to know where to go, lest it becomes too authentic and your stomach (or psyche) can't handle it.

That's a long intro way of saying yeah, I eat at Panda Express on occasion. It's not bad, the portions are good, and (in my head) it's not nearly the worst thing I could be having for lunch.

But the best part of Panda are the fortune cookies. Of course they're mass-produced in a factory somewhere, and I'm not one for superstition so I don't really believe in their prognosticatory value. I won't even go into how plaaaayed adding "in bed" is after these things. But Panda's fortunes are consistently funny, or poignant, without being lame or too "Confucius says"-y.

So today, I got "Your Perspective Will Shift". In the past, I've gotten way-off-the-mark missives such as "You will be recognized and honored as a community leader," and "You will soon be gifted with gold pieces."

I enjoy the randomness of these fortunes. They are better than more generic "You will find happiness soon" or "A change of fortune is just around the corner" crap that you usually see.

Will my perspective shift? I'm not sure in what way, but I'm now on the lookout for a good spiritual kick to the head. Why would anybody turn that down?

No comments: