July 6, 2006

That's why he's The King

Larry King is interviewing the President at some point in the near
future (tonight?) and CNN.com has a brief interview with King about
the interview. A bit... meta for my taste, and largely
inconsequential, but it did reveal this tidbit to which I, naturally,
took offense:

"I want to learn as much as I can about as many things as I can. I'm
as interested in feelings as I am about facts. I know we have 139,000
troops in Iraq, but I want to know about how he feels about all the
troops."

He wants to know how the President feels about the troops. The
President. Of the United States. Is there any more softball,
feel-good, useless question to ask him? Is there any chance the
President will say "Larry, honestly, I think they're disgraceful," or
"I respect them and the failures have been mine and mine alone"?

No. It's a stupid question, and it's a waste of journalism to have
someone asking the most powerful man in the free world numerous
questions, and instead he's going to repeatedly punt (other questions
will include the prez's feelings on Ken Lay--given that the man just
died, I doubt it will get into their very shady relationship).

Nobody wants to ask real questions. And when they do ask real
questions, they don't care when the answer completely dodges it. There
have been signs that the media is waking back up a bit, and perhaps
the esteemed Mr. King isn't exactly a hard journalist these days, but
it certainly doesn't make me remotely interested to tune in. Tonight,
on CNN: the President reviews his talking points while Larry King nods
approvingly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.