April 3, 2009

Turns Out, It Stands for Emergency Room!

I remember when ER first came on television. I was 16 and I had just recently gotten a television in my room, and though I don't specifically remember my "bed time" back in 1994, I have some very specific memories of watching the show in my before bed on Thursday nights.

Back when ER debuted, it was an amazing show. The long takes, and the very human characters, were the best points. Over the years they lost some of that humanity in favor of more fantastic plot lines (helicopters chopping off arms, and major transportation disasters befalling the city of Chicago on a monthly basis). It was about this time that ER became less compelling, and fell into the Law & Order class of TV for me. Not that L&O is bad, but each episode is so self-contained that it really doesn't matter if you miss one, two, or ten per season. ER still had more character development, but the characters didn't resonate as strongly.

Still, it was a great show. And it had some of the best short-run guest stars of any television show out there; not just one-and-done types, but actual recurring characters played by amazing actors. Stanley Tucci, William H. Macy, Maria Bello, Thandie Newton. Mariska Hargitay got her start there, way back in the old days. Jorja Fox and Marg Helgenberger, too. Elizabeth Mitchell (from LOST) was a doctor for like a dozen episodes. Djimon Hounsou was great. Even Ving Rhames was all over the place at the very beginning.

ER was a great drama. But it was never better than the early years. When Dr. Greene died, that was the climax, and though it has been entertaining and full of moving stories since then, it was never the same without him. Last night's finale was a nice way to remind us of that through his character's daughter.

Even though I wasn't watching regularly anymore, I will miss knowing that it was there. Nothing else has been around for as long, or with as much consistency.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, hello, "The Simpsons"...

-J.C.