February 27, 2006

Blow the Man Down

No, I don't mean it that way. We're having some severely windy weather here in San Fran, with gusts topping 70 miles per hour (55 mph sustained!) in some areas. I'm fairly certain I'm in one of those areas, as the wind is absolutely howling by the roughly 32 windows we have in this place. It may be over-dramatized by being top floor and our right-on-the-corner status, but man is it loud.

But also very cool. At the worst part, around 6:30 this evening, the lights were flickering and opening a window even a crack meant a piercing howl of wind would then shoot through the apartment. And I mean through; it knocked papers off the table on the other side of the room.

I like wind. I love storms. Part of the reason I disliked San Diego (and there weren't that many) was that there was never any damn weather. 72, sunny. 72, sunny. 71, sunny. Granted, that month we had fires burning down a good chunk of the county was sort of cool, but that's both not weather, and more damaging than a good old-fashioned thunderstorm. San Francisco, while very weathery in its own right, still seems to lack serious thunder and lightning action. Maybe this will change (wrong season), but for now I'm just happy to see storms brewing. The feel of that nearly-warm, rainy wind against my face reminds me so much of Michigan and Virginia that it's almost overwhelming.

(I've resolved to take more pictures to accompany my blog posts, but alas, wind is tough to photograph, what with the invisibleness and all. Next time.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is something I've realized is a downside of living in highrises. The wind is so loud- and the higher up you get the louder it is. If they put out a wind advisory I figure that it will be a night that the TV has to be on volume level: defeaning to hear it.