May 23, 2006

C-O-N...spiracy

The roomie and I watched a surprisingly not insane speech last night discussing the terrorist attacks on 9/11. Without going into all the nitty-gritty detail, I was semi-convinced that the official story of the attack is not exactly what happened.

Now, before you call me nuts, let me clarify. I'm not sure what the truth actually happens to be. All I've become aware of is the flimsiness (if that's a word) of the actual explanation, as given by the government.

I'm not really into big conspiracies. I generally feel that the government is far too bureaucratic to manage large-scale cover-ups, simply because too many people will tell. I still believe this.

But there's just a lot of weird crap associated with 9/11 and the government response. And what's possibly more shocking is how many people have outright forgotten some of the key facts. For instance, who out there remembers that three WTC buildings fell? Yes, WTC 1 and 2, but then seven hours later, WTC 7, which had not been attacked. And it fell like as clean a demolition as has ever been--right into itself. Official explanation is that a fire, and the toppling of the first two, lead to WTC 7's fall. But no building in modern history has ever collapsed because of fire--except the three that fell on 9/11.

And that includes some real firestorms, buildings that lost 10 to 20 stories to fire, not the handful of floors that burned at the World Trade Center.

I won't get into it all, because there's a lot. Impossibly hot fires, hastily exported debris, missing hijackers (did you know that a good number of the "19 hijackers" aren't dead--they're complete misidentifications by the government), and so on. The only reason I buy into any of this is because for once, I saw an almost completely scientific and non-partisan approach to the issue. You can read about it your self at www.st911.org.

Obviously, there's a lot of crap out there that makes "9/11 conspiracy" sound completely asinine. But just because some idiotic theories are out there doesn't mean that there aren't some that have a kernel (or more) of truth.

No comments: