May 11, 2006

Firsts

Because I'm bored, and because it's a not-so-subtle way of showing how well-read and urbane I am, so that people out there reading this automatically think, "My, isn't he well-read and urbane, I think I should like to have sex with an individual like that," I now present you with the first line of every book I'm currently in the middle of reading. This does not include prologues, introductions, or other non-chapter 1 equivalents.

"A suitable starting point from which to compare historical developments on the different continents is around 11,000 B.C."

"I once joked that there are three things you can't do in life."*

"Imagine for a moment that you are the manager of a day-care center."

"The madness of an autumn prairie cold front coming through."

"Asking whether there is a liberal or conservative bias to the mainstream media is a little like asking whether al Qaeda uses too much oil in their hummus."

"I come from Des Moines."

"Calling it a cover-up would be far too dramatic."

Not sure what that accomplished, but it was fun to write. Strange that there's only one fiction book in the lot of that, right now.

3 comments:

bslawg said...

Ok, I give up, what are the three things you can't do in life?

Anonymous said...

My question exactly.

SB said...

"You can't beat the phone company, you can't make a waiter see you until he is ready to see you, and you can't go home again. Since the spring of 1995, I have been quietly, even gamely, reassessing point number three."

Not bad, but not as life-altering as the answer could have been.