November 28, 2007

Three(ish) Things

Thing the First:

Heroes, man. This show is KILLING me. Two weeks I declared, openly and loudly, that the show was really pushing its luck and would have one more chance to make me interested.

Then, it was good. Last week's had action and moved the plot along and nobody was exceptionally stupid as is the usual course of business at Heroes Inc.

This did not last, sadly. Monday's episode was at the top of its game, idiocy-wise, and I am now thankful that a writer's strike is occurring because maybe the show will stop being on TV for awhile.

First of all, to call Peter a moron is to insult morons. He can read minds but he doesn't read Adam's? He doesn't question why he would untie the woman who has tried to kill them, when even a blind monkey could tell you he was planning to eliminate her? And then, even though he knows Hiro personally he decides that he has to beat him down to protect the guy that doesn't die. Also, his weird obsession with some chick he abandoned in the future, and his completely irrational idea that preventing the plague will somehow help her, makes me want to push his stupid superface into a wall.

Don't get me wrong, everybody else in the show was stupid too--Hiro could prevent problems by saying "Dude, I went back in time and Adam tried to release the virus in 1977" but instead it's all weird posturing. Claire has made some vague threat about going public, with the idea that this will somehow damage Veronica Mars, but her cheerleader logic escapes me. And Suresh is still setting the stupid bar far lower than most doctorate-holders could imagine.

I don't even like Sylar anymore. He has no powers, he's annoying, and I'm really hoping that someone sticks a(nother) sword through him. I am convinced at this point that a plague killing 93% of the earth's population would be great as long as it guaranteed the death of everyone on this show.

Thing the Second:


I was righteously indignant about something else this morning, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

Thing the Third:

I go to Starbucks regularly. So sue me. I don't mind when my co-patrons come with friends, but when all three or four or (god forbid) FIVE of them stand together right in front of the pick-up counter, it makes my eyes glaze over with murderous rage. EVEN AFTER PEOPLE HAVE TO "EXCUSE ME" THROUGH THE IDIOTS, THEY DON'T MOVE.

Perhaps I am angry today, or something. But just as with inattentive drivers, people who stand around on the street or in places of business and cause trouble for everyone else, through their sheer inability to observe their surroundings, are making life a little less pleasant for everyone around them. Cut that shit out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I watched Heros for 2 minutes and when I saw that weird boyfirnd guy was still on, changed it.

So angry! Watch that High Blood Pressure...

-JC

Jason said...

Heros sucks? Drat. We (the wife and I ) just agreed that when Heros ends we'd watch the whole series on DVD via Netflix.

I guess I'll have to find another popular show we've ignored. NCIS? Ugly Betty? Desperate Housewives?

Dennis! said...

At this point I'm only really watching Heroes for the eye candy. Milo Ventimiglia is shirtless a lot this season, and that's a good thing. This week Sylar appeared shirtless too, which is another good thing. Even Claire's Dad -- who knew had looked pretty not-bad shirtless?

The plot? Who has what powers, etc.? Lost me on that one.

NCIS is a pretty good show. So is Chuck, and How I Met Your Mother. CSI:Miami, if you can completely ignore David Caruso, because he's more annoying than nails on a chalkboard.

SB said...

Heroes may actually become the new CSI: Miami for me. That is, watching to be amused by the silliness instead of entertained by the plot. If you watch CSI that way, Caruso is a remarkable piece of work.

But I still hold out hope that Heroes will readjust and get away from the "I hate being different" storyline. It could not be more played out. Spider-Man 2 did this the right way, and did it far better; Heroes is just annoying. It might still be worth watching on DVD since you can fast forward through the eye-rolling "but you're special!" "but I don't want to be!" moments.

Clearly I have too much to say on this topic.

Oh, and I agree about the eye-candy from an objective point of view. But from the view of the Boys Who Like Girls delegation, there ain't nearly as much. It creeps me out to ogle Claire (even the actress is like, barely 18).

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dennis! How I Met Your Mother is good show.

I haaate it when people choose small public spaces to congregate. It's like the ladies room at a nightclub. You know what really gets groups of guys out of the way, though, is by saying, "excuse me, Papi." Or the bitchy "excuseme"-shove combo.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of How I Met Your Mother! It tends to hit a little too close to home at times, though...

And while valuable, I do not think "excuse me Papi" would work for me. Perhaps the opposite.

(Sam)