February 6, 2008

"Always Two There Are..."

When you end a serious, or even semi-serious relationship, and you end it without cheating or some other serious infraction of the relationship code, often it's not really over. It seems over, and everyone is very sad and there is much The Cure playing. But sometimes you try to be friends immediately, or after some laughably brief intermission.

This isn't always a mistake, but it almost always leads Break-Up Number Two. That is, you hang out to varying degrees (sometimes it may seem like no break-up ever happened at all, sometimes it's all talk and no face-to-face, etc.) but inevitably you have to break up again.

This happens for a variety of reasons. The most common is that one person still wants to be in the relationship, and the other one is lonely enough to let them pretend that may happen. Eventually somebody wises up, and you get Numero Dos.

Sometimes its because one of you has moved on to a new relationship, and the other person wasn't ready for that. And sometimes it's just because you fall out of contact--usually this is with less serious relationships, or it merely masks one (or both) persons meeting somebody new.

So... it turns out I have no point to make beyond the above, it's just my whiny way of saying that it sucks when that happens. But if I can't whine on my blog, where can I whine?

Writer's Note: The quote is from Star Wars, but the rest of the line ("...a master, and an apprentice.") makes no sense in this context. It does make sense in the context of me being a giant dork, and even when confronted with Serious Life Things, I am blessed with a continual loop of "Star Wars" quotes in my head.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I agree. With all that you say. You know, you are much more intelligent about these "life" things than you think you are. Or at least pretend to be. I consistently try to get your opinion on my personal matters without too much of a bother :)

Besides, I have the inner dork too - I can't stop thinking, reading and remembering quotes from Harry Potter (ill say it - the modern day Star Wars) and for that reason I have a swelling inside of me that makes me so happy to know that you are my brother.