May 28, 2008

Leave Me to My Books!

This best part about this article is the company it puts us lawyers in.

Most people usually don't think of lawyers as introverted, but the bulk of the lawyers out there aren't Jack McCoy trial lawyers (though I guess he's the DA now, and no longer a trial lawyer). They sit in offices and sift through paperwork for 90% of the time.

The problem is that the other 10% of the time, you have to fight your introvert nature. And not just by going to social/marketing events (dinner parties, etc.) but for really important, case-dispositive things. Court appearances, contentious telephone calls with opposing counsel--these are tough for the introvert to navigate. I know, because I have a very strong introvert streak.

But it works out in the end, at least in my case. My introversion stems mostly from being uncomfortable when I don't have the full picture of the situation. I don't like not having all the information, so when I'm in that situation I tend to sit back and nod, or just take notes. But when I do have all the information (or--and this is key--when I think I do) I use that as a means to cut right through my introvert tendencies. This works out great in court, when I've had a chance to prepare, review statutes, and so forth. It works okay in deposition, when you're never 100% sure what the witness will say.

It still works poorly when I have to call people, especially when I need something from them.

Maybe I should have been a "systems analyst", whatever the hell that is.

No comments: