May 2, 2008

So, What the Hell Was That?

Did anyone ever see that fairly lame Disney movie from the late 70s, The Black Hole? It had Anthony Perkins, Ernest Borgnine, and a crapload of annoying robots?

It holds a strange place in my heart, that movie. 80% is stupid Disney crap, but then near then end it gets really messed up. First, there's this big red evil robot which gave me nightmares* and who at the end of the movie purees Tony Perkins with a big ol' fan blade. It's really graphic, for a kids' movie.

Then there's the real ending, where (spoilers?) the ship goes into the black hole and we get a trippy ending in which the bad guy merges with the evil robot Maximilian, and perhaps lives to eternity trapped in the cold hard shell of his own evil creation. Or, he goes to hell. Or, they all die and it's a dream. I dunno, but that is some seriously weird shit to watch when you're like, 5.

Perkins bites it hard - YouTube.

*This even comes up because I had a dream with a big red robot of nondescript intentions. But when I woke up it made me think of this red fucker, and now I'm a little bit weirded out for the day.

2 comments:

Jason said...

YES!
that movie was my favorite as well. I had the wallpaper in my bedroom and I think we had a record that was loosely related to the movie as well.

Dennis! said...

I totally remember that movie too, but only vaguely. An ugly robot, the name "Maximillian", and the fact that a bad guy dies at the end when a giant something-or-another falls on him. My brother and I used to mock him for putting up his hands as that big thing fell, as if he planned to catch it, Superman-style. Then he groans something while he's crushed too.

But strangely, that's all I remember. Nothing at all about plot lines or anything.